Sunday 28 March 2010

Ashes to Ashes by Jennifer Armintrout


"Being a vampire is a life-or-death situation. When I was first turned, I had only my survival to worry about. Now I'm locked in a battle for the existence of the entire human race - and the cards are definitely stacked against me.

The Voluntary Vampire Extinction Movement headquarters are destroyed, and their pet horror, the Oracle, is on the loose. She'll stop at nothing to turn the world into a vampire's paradise, even if it means helping the Soul Eater become a god and harnessing his power for her own evil ends. An ancient vampire, a blood-sucking near deity and oh, yeah, my presently human former sure thrown into the mix. I say bring it on. May the best monster win."


This is the third book in the Blood Ties series. I read the first one about 10 months ago, and the second one a couple months after that. I liked the first one, but the second I didn't enjoy so much, which is why it's taken me so long to read this one. I couldn't remember a whole lot about the books, just vauge details about the main players. This book started out pretty good, holding my attention with intrigue as to how the team were going to deal with the Oracle and the Soul Eater.

But quickly Carrie's focus switched to her constant (very irritating) battle to decide if she loves her sire, Nathan, or her former sire Cyrus, more. Every conversation between any of them, even the ones that started with their other problems, ended up on Carrie's emotions or theirs. I don't like Cyrus, not at all, and now Nathan and Carrie have annoyed me enough I don't particularly care about their story at all.

However, there are sections of this book from Max's POV. He's another vampire, a friend of Nathan's for many years. His story, I like. His relationship (of lack of) with werewolf Bella I found entertaining. The way they play off each other, both trying to protect themselves and remain as they always have, refusing to depend on anyone, is sweet, awkward and painful at times. Plus I felt that with them, there was far more to them, even though we see less of them. And when with them, there was plenty on the other aspects of the plot, the Oracle and the Soul Eater too. I looked forward to Max's sections, whereas Carrie's made me want to put the book down and not bother picking it up again.

There are a couple good twists at the end that I didn't see coming. But again, more with Max and Bella than Carrie, who tells most of the story. I found the book very easy to put down and almost had to force myself to pick it up again to finish it. It's very angst heavy and with less focus on the bigger plots (like say, the Oracle and the Soul Eater wanting to take over the world) than you would think, particularly based on the blurb. Overall, not a great read. A few decent moments, but nothing great. There is only one more book in the series, so I'll probably read it just to see what happens, but I'm in no hurry to.

Rating: 5/10

No comments: