Saturday 2 January 2010

Best of 2009...

...and looking ahead.

Pretty sure I read more in 2009 than any year before it, and I wanted to do a bit of a review of my favourites from it for the new year. But I was reading and then I was busy with family, and then I was ill! So now it's Jan 2nd and I'm playing catch up. And with everything I've read I could write pages and pages on the best books. So I'm breaking it down to the best of the best instead. Hard work choosing some of these! ;)

Fave new books of 2009
1. Magic Strikes by Ilona Andrews. One word: Amazing.
2. Prey by Rachel Vincent. Completely blew me away. Heartbreaking but awesome.
3. Blood Promise by Richelle Mead. Another heartbreaking, but fantastic read.
4. Going Too Far by Jennifer Echols. The past is so hard to let go. Very realistic characters that really got to me!
5. Bone Crossed by Patricia Briggs. Some delicate subjects well handled. Plus more Adam, what more can you want? ;)
6. Frostbitten by Kelley Armstrong. Back on form with my favourite werewolf, Elena Michaels.
7. Thorn Queen by Richelle Mead. Unexpected, but brilliant.
8. Dawnbreaker by Jocelynn Drake. Mira and Danaus just get better and better!
9. Strange Angels by Lili St. Crow. Another fantastic YA series that's not just for YA's.
10. Red-headed Stepchild by Jaye Wells. Hairless, talking demon cat as sidekick for vampire/mage half-breed assassin in the middle of a war between the races. Awesome.

Some other (though not close to all of them) highlights, not all new releases: 'Bound To Shadows' by Keri Arthur, 'The Magicians' Guild' by Trudi Canavan, 'Poison Study' by Maria V. Snyder, 'My Soul To Take' by Rachel Vincent, 'Reign or Shine' by Michelle Rowan and 'On The Edge' by Ilona Andrews.

And looking ahead through 2010, there are some books I am very desperate to read, here's a top ten for the books I'm most anticipaiting this year!

1. Spirit Bound by Richelle Mead, 5th Vampire Academy, out 18th May. Fingers crossed for Dimitri!!
2. Magic Bleeds by Ilona Andrews, 4th Kate Daniels, out 25th May. Curran = *swoon* enough said.
3. Shift/Alpha by Rachel Vincent, 5th/6th Shifters, out 1st March/1st October. After Prey, I can't even guess what will happen!!
4. Silver Borne by Patricia Briggs, 5th Mercy Thompson, out 31st March. Mercy and Adam are amazing, can't wait to see what happens next with them!
5. Pray For Dawn/Wait For Dusk by Jocelynn Drake, 4th/5th Dark Days, out 29th June/27th July. Danaus' POV book for the first time, can't wait!! What does he really think of Mira?
6. Succubus Shadows by Richelle Mead, 5th Succubus, out 30th March. Succubus Heat wasn't my favourite, but first chapter of Shadows hold mountains of promise and is just a tease!
7. Moon Sworn by Keri Arthur, 9th Riley Jenson book, out 25th May. Final Riley book and there are a lot of loose ends to tie up!!
8. Waking The Witch by Kelley Armstrong, 11th Women of the Otherworld, out 3rd August. First book Savannah will narrate. Spunky 21 year old working mostly without supervision...wonder just how much trouble she'll get in to?!
9. The Mage In Black by Jaye Wells, 2nd Sabina Kane, out 30th March. More of the brilliant demon cat Giguhl! And the rest...
10. Jealousy by Lili St. Crow, 3rd Strange Angels, out 29th July. Haven't read the second book yet, but I'm already anxious to read this one too! lol

Okay, I'm getting annoyed just reading this list, want the books now!! *is super impaitent*

A little late but ah well, Happy New Year! Hope 2010 is better than 2009 for everyone :)

No comments: