Friday 3 April 2009

Tempting Evil by Keri Arthur



"In a world of sorcery and seduction, the nights bring out the beautiful, the damned, and the desired. Here, Riley Jenson is on her own–half werewolf, half vampire, working for an organization created to police the supernatural races. Trusting her superiors and lovers barely more than she trusts her worst enemies, Riley plays by her own set of rules. Her latest mission: to enter the heavily guarded pleasure palace of a criminal named Deshon Starr–a madman-scientist who’s been messing around in the gene pool for decades. With two sexy men–a cool, seductive vampire and an irresistibly hot wolf–vying for her attention, Riley must keep focused. Because saving the world from Deshon Starr will mean saving herself–from the trap that’s closing in around her. . . ."

Tempting Evil is the third book in the Riley Jenson, Guardian series by Keri Arthur. I completely gave up on this series a couple of years ago. At that point I wasn't enjoying the plot, and I was just finding Riley annoying. But I decided to give the series another try, so I bought the book I left off with.

I got pretty hooked this time. I wanted to keep reading it, but I could still put it down. It's been too long since I read the first two books and I couldn't remember everything that happened in them very well, so some if it didn't make a whole lot of sense, but I remembered enough to go with it.

After this I really like Riley's character. She is a little annoying at times, but I like her sassy-ness, and determination not to submit to the wishes of her overbearing boss. She'll get the job done, but her way. I like that Riley isn't some one who's willing to kill on command. She's tough, but she doesn't live to get in to fights. And her biggest desire is to find her soul mate and have kids. Something she knows could be impossible. I love her relationship with Quinn, and I love Quinn too for that matter. I'm looking forward to seeing how things progress in future books. He's clearly very determined to have his girl! I'm glad that the Deshon Starr plot has finished though. I realise there will be fall out, but one thing I remember from the first two books is that it felt like it was dragging, but it came to a good end. The pace through the book was good, but the end fight scene was a bit quick. They've been after these guys for months, and then suddenly it's over. But it was still a good ending. I'm gonna pick up the next book soon, but I may have to go back and get the first two as well, I think some stuff I forgot needs to be remembered!

Rating: 8/10

No comments: