Wednesday 2 June 2010

Reign Check by Michelle Rowen


"Nikki Donovan has had a lot to deal with since learning she was half human, half demon. But things take a darker turn when Rhys, a gorgeous -- but potentially dangerous -- faery king enrolls at her high school to investigate Nikki's potential for fulfilling an apocalyptic prophesy. Nikki knows she'd never turn violent, and she certainly couldn't destroy the world...could she?
Of course, all Nikki really wants is to be reunited with Michael, a Shadow creature whose status as her personal servant is further complicated by their undeniable attraction to each other. Even though the rules of the Shadowlands strictly forbid their romance, Nikki is determined not to let Michael go. But when she is summoned to the Underworld to appear before a demon council, it will take all her courage -- and perhaps a bit of demon-level strength -- to get herself out again."

Reign Check is the second book in the Demon Princess series from Michelle Rowen. I really liked the first book, a lot more than I thought I would I have to admit. But I loved this one more. It picks up right where Reign or Shine (book 1) left off and like book 1, covers just a week or so. And it's a very eventful week. It's one thing after another for Nikki and nothing is quite as it seems. I had a really tough job putting this book down. Nikki had thought that maybe now her father wasn't about to die, that maybe being a demon princess wouldn't be so bad. But then faery king Rhys (who I maybe fell a little bit in love with) appears as a new student at her school and suddenly things take a turn for the worse. It's one thing after another going wrong for Nikki after that as she learns more about the Shadowlands, the demon world and certain other things going on.
We get to explore a lot more of the world Michelle has created in this book, right alongside Nikki. We get our first look in to the demon world, get to know the characters we've already met better, and meet some very interesting new ones as well. This book had a bit of a darker feel to it than book 1, which I liked. But it still had some very funny moments as well (a certain character being drunk being my favourite, but I won't say who). As well as expanding what we see of the worlds in this book, there is also some really good character development. Nikki's learnt a lot in a short space of time and I love seeing how she's dealing with it all. But she isn't the only one who finds out some dark secrets in this book.
As well as the main plot there are several little side plots going on. We get more on some than others, some are just little things going on in the background, but they all add to the depth of the book. Of the side plots, I really hope the ones with Nikki's best friend Melinda and Rhys' are explored more. My only real complaint about this book, is that there isn't enough of Rhys (I did say I maybe fell a little in love with him...). Overall, Reign Check a really good follow up to Reign or Shine. I loved it, the characters and I can't wait for the next one. 8/10

No comments: