Monday 16 May 2011

City of Bones by Cassandra Clare


July 2007, Walker Books
448 pages, Paperback
Personal copy

Young Adult, Fantasy

Lots of thrills and mystery, runes, magic, betrayal, family secrets, family ties, friendships, misunderstanding, werewolves who are good, vampires who aren't fabulous hosts, lots of confusion, some teen romance, some gore, 100% fun!

Summery from Walker 
Clary Fray is seeing things: vampires in Brooklyn and werewolves in Manhattan. Irresistibly drawn towards a group of sexy demon hunters, Clary encounters the dark side of New York City - and the dangers of forbidden love.

Nayuleska's reasons for loving Clary: everyone knows what's going on apart from her, I like her spirit in finding out the truth, plus her admirable skill of being prepared and making sure a weapon is to hand just in case....

How evil/nasty is the enemy? Very - some are physically scary, others are psychological scary. All are evil. Or are they...?

Are there plenty of plot twists and surprises? So many I gave up counting them on my fingers. There isn't a single element of Clary's past, current or future life that is predictable (apart from death, but she's very much alive at the end of the book).

One of my favourite parts was...I have to pick on? Try the whole book! Ok, I'll be good and pick....when Clary gets rescued by Luke midway and she learns his secret. Well one of them.

I give it 10/10 hands down!

Make sure you read Cem's review (I didn't read it before I read the book).

Suggested reads: 
Chloe Neill has created quite a powerful force in Some Girls Bite where Merit's personality captured me from start to finish.

For a darker read with a character who isn't at school, try Black Swan Rising by Lee Carroll

No comments: