Wednesday 18 May 2011

Quarry by Ally Kennen


February 2011, Scholastic
240 pages, Paperback
Review copy

Young Adult, thriller

School life, living in a run down area, mental health, dementia, divorce, dares, mobile phones, pranks which aren't funny, secrets, pushing the boundaries, training to be a thug, exams, mild teen romance

Summary from Scholastic 
Someone knows all the secrets of Scrappy's troubled family – and, by text message, is luring him into a deadly trap ...

Nayuleska's reason for loving Scrappy: he's the total opposite of me, I respect the bravery he shows, and  his compassion to his grandfather, and his more deeply buried sibling love for his sister.

Is there another character who deserves a special mention? Sheeley, Scrappy's sister. I wish there had been more appearances from her.

How evil/nasty is the enemy? All I'll say is it starts with a dead cockroach...and gets much worse. Scrappy's on target for being a criminal...if he carries on.

Are there plenty of plot twists and surprises? Although the main one I'd had my suspicions and was proven correct, there were all the minor plot twists which were very well written.

One of my favourite parts was...whenever he realises how much he cares for his sister.

I give it....9/10

Check out Ally's blog here.

Suggested reads
Jason has a similar level of hardship to deal as Scrappy does in Crazy by Han Nolan



For an equally funny and mysterious read, check out Scat by Carl Hiassen

No comments: