Tuesday 4 May 2010

Blue Moon by Alyson Noel

SPOILER WARNING! Spoilers for the first book, Evermore, present. Not for this book :)

Blue Moon is the second book in the Immortals series which started with Evermore. Ever is trying to adapt to life as an immortal, she's taking lessons from Damen (boyfriend teaching her = big distraction!) on how to use the power she has, whilst still attending school (which Damen also believes a waste of time) and trying to prove to her aunt that her not eating doesn't mean she's anorexic. Not too easy, but it could be worse. Then, just when things seem to be levelling out, getting a little easier for Ever, they suddenly start getting weird. Again. And more so than before. But Ever can't figure out exactly what's causing Damen's behaviour changes, or in her friends at school either. She's convinced a rogue immortal is at work, but with her limited experience and practise of her own immortal powers, is it enough to get to the truth before it's too late?

I really enjoyed the first book in this series, and this wasn't a let down for me. I felt it was a little slower to start, but it did pick up and had a good plot. We learn a lot more about how Summerland, the in-between world works and about where immortals come from, the powers they possess etc. I didn't enjoy it quite as much as the first book, but it was still really good. It particularly picked up towards the end as Ever faced some tough decisions and you can certainly see why she made the ones she did.

There was the introduction of two new characters in Summerland, who I could never decide if I trusted or not. Not a bad thing, they were interesting and I liked the indecision they brought and how Ever dealt with them. Ever herself developed a bit in this, showing her strength, and her weakness at times. The book ended on a bit of a cliffhanger, with a lot left unsaid and a lot needing dealt with. I do like this series quite a lot, and I'm looking forward to reading the next one, but I don't see it becoming a top favourite any time soon. Very good filler reads between new releases I'm anxiously waiting for though! 7/10

No comments: