Wednesday 12 May 2010

M.E./CFS

Today is international M.E./CFS awareness day. Why am I blogging about this instead of writing the review I owe or finishing The Ambassador's Mission by Trudi Canavan? Because I suffer from ME/CFS and have done for well over 10 years now. It's an illness that's meant I missed most of high school, dropped out of college (twice) have very few RL friends and live about 80% of my life in my bedroom.

It's an illness that little is known about, often passed off as being 'in the mind'. In otherwords, most people (that includes doctors) think it's faked. Bullshit. That's all I have to say to that. No one wants to live their life like this. I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy. So as today is international awareness day, I'm telling you all a little about it.

This illness, like any other chronic debilitating illness, can't be understood by someone who doesn't have it. But there is a woman who suffers from Lupus who did a damn good job of explaining what living with such an illness is like to a friend of hers. If you've read this far in my post I would please urge you to carry on and read the story she has to tell here. It may mean little to you, but it means a lot to me. I've suffered mostly in silence as most sufferers do, but if I can help just one person have a little more understanding and sympathy towards those who suffer chronic illness then this post was more than worth it. Another post that should be checked out is this one here containing a list of 25 things you never knew about ME/CFS. Thanks for reading :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are so strong and beautiful.

I can't begin to fathom what it's like to experience what you're going through and I don't think I'd be able to even try.
You're a survivor and I admire you greatly for it.
Keep up the good work and take care of yourself as best you can.
I love having you online.

My prayers and thoughts go out for you always.
Lots of love,
Janee
xox