Friday 3 December 2010

Book Blogger Hop

Book Blogger Hop

Book Blogger Hop is hosted by Crazy For Books. Head over there to check it out and join in!

This weeks question:

"What very popular and hyped book in the blogosphere did you NOT enjoy and how did you feel about posting your review?"

Oddly I was thinking about this just the other day because it's almost the end of the year and I'm thinking about the best books I've read this year, and that always leads to thinking about the biggest disappointments as well. I've got two major disappointments this year. The first is Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins. I liked most of it, up til the end, but the more I was thinking about it afterwards, the more I was thinking WTH?? I can't say I loved it, can't even say I liked it now. Just...yeah, big let down. But I wrote my review for it before it really sunk in, so I wasn't hating on it as much, which is probably a good thing!! So that one wasn't so bad.

The second one I found very disappointing is Nightshade by Andrea Cremer. I was so excited for this one! I'm a wolf girl, chapter one was good, lots of great reviews floating around, I didn't think twice about buying the US hardback. I really wish I'd waited and bought the UK paperback later this month, because it was a serious let down. The deeper I got in to it, the more I was wondering what all the fuss was about. It's got some good moments, for sure, and the potential to be the start of a better series. But for the most part I found it just didn't work. I don't mind posting negative reviews normally, because not every book is for everyone, but I was really disappointed that I had to post a bad one for Nightshade, because I'd been hoping for it to be great. With a few changes it could have been a new favourite for me, but it just didn't work. Want to know why I think that, see my review here.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I've just been lucky with my choices of hyped book. I haven't read Nightshade yet but I do have it on pre order. I hope I'm not disappointed too.

Julie said...

Heading over to your review, as I have this one on my Not-So-Bebe-Girl Autumn's to-buy list for her Christmas book box. You know what, I'm kind of with you on the ending for Mockingjay .. I mean, I realize that real life does go on, but it was kind of ambiguous. Like you, I didn't really feel THAT particular letdown until after I'd had time to brew on it.

Brenda said...

Your two books are ones that I liked very much. :) I've heard of a lot of people who were disappointed with Mockingjay. I loved it just for all the emotion it brought out in me, but I can see it's faults as well.

Small Review said...

Aw, both of these are on my TBR. From what I've seen you're definitely not alone about Mockingjay.

Jessica @ a GREAT read said...

Sorry you didn't like Nightshade so much Cem! I was really hyped for it and did like it, but not as much as I had hoped!

Here's my Hop

Happy Friday!

basma aal said...

You are so right. I didnt like Nightshade much either.

Anonymous said...

Hi,
Just hopping by and following through. It's hard when the hype is so big to resist purchasing it and then horrid when you are dissapointed

Shelleyrae

Katie Edwards said...

I'm not a big fan of the angel books that are everywhere at the moment, and I was just relieved to get to the end of Crescendo. I don't think I will be reading on in this series.

Most of my reviews tend to contain things I both liked and disliked about a book, but if the negatives outweigh the positives I feel a bit bad. But if you only write glowing reviews, they become meaningless.

Aimee said...

I haven't read either Mockingjay or Nightshade, although Nightshade is on my list. But a few people didn't like it so I might wait on it. I'm a new follower! My hop is at Coffee Table Press