Thursday 30 December 2010

Out With a Bang Read-a-thon Update #1


So the first day of the readathon is over (for me at least, it's 3.30am as I start this) and it went okay for me. I managed to read 2 books, although one is only novella length, before exhaustion kicked in and I gave up for the night. Why then am I blogging at 3.30am? Because I slept for an hour at 9.20pm, woke up, and haven't been able to sleep since. I hate my body, I'm soo going to be paying for this after I manage to sleep again... Anyway, what I've read:

Crave by Melinda Metz and Laura J. Burns
I really liked this!! I read partially as an escape from my reality, which is life as a 'sick girl', having to be super cautious about everything I do and missing out on living a lot of the time as a result. The main character of Crave is a sick girl too and a very believable one. I could relate a little too well to the struggles and issues she faced, stopping it from being an easy read and instead becoming one that was a little painful for a the majority of it. That said, I still barely put it down. It's a good story with some nice twists and a real cliff hanger ending! Aside from the main character and love interest, the characters are a little bit flat at times and it could have used a little more explanation some times as well. But I did really enjoy it and I'm really looking forward to the second book! Rating: 8/10

Wolf Signs by Vivian Arend
This is novella length, but it is the first of a series. I really enjoyed it early on, but some of the later events didn't really work for me. I liked the ideas behind it all, but I sometimes found it a little too easy and sometimes it felt like it went a bit randomly off track, jumping from one aspect of the story to the other plot and back again. For me, the characters needed to be fleshed out better and not take everything so easily in stride. Still, it's a decent enough PNR novella, I may read the others at some point. Rating: 5/10

2 comments:

Heather (Book-Savvy) said...

Thanks for sharing! I haven't heard much about either of these books. Sounds like some good "rainy-day" reading.

Casey (The Bookish Type) said...

Gahh! I seriously need to read Crave!!

Thanks so much for participating! I hope you had fun =)

Happy New Year!